Prominent trade unionists to share platform at election campaign launch on Budget Day as Chancellor Osborne plans tax cuts for the rich
Firefighters' leader Matt Wrack will share a platform with rail union RMT leader Bob Crow and other leading London trade unionists, at a major public meeting on Budget day to launch the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition’s London election campaign (1) and to outline their response to what is expected to be another 'giveaway to the rich' from chancellor George Osborne.
Bob Crow and Matt Wrack will be speaking in support of their leading London officials standing as TUSC candidates for the GLA elections to give Londoners who want to resist cuts and job losses a political voice (2).
Bob Crow said:
‘The RMT has called a Budget “Day of Action” over Government plans to axe thousands of jobs, close ticket offices and jack up fares; but it is not enough for trade unionists just to protest, we need a political voice. I am proud to be backing the RMT’s Alex Gordon(3) and Steve Hedley(4) as part of the TUSC list.’
Matt Wrack said:
"I am delighted to be able to support two members of the Fire Brigades Union who are standing for election to the London Assembly as part of the TUSC list. As a union we are facing huge cuts to our service. We are also seeing creeping privatisation of the London Fire Brigade – a policy which has already been a disaster. I know Ian Leahair (5) and Sian Griffiths (6) will fight to defend good quality public services for the people of London"
The meeting will formally launch the London election campaign of the Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition (TUSC). TUSC is standing a list for the London-wide Assembly member seats, which is conducted with a form of Proportional Representation, where smaller parties can expect to pick up support.
More information: Will McMahon 07968 950223
Notes to editors
(1) The Public rally
to launch London TUSC campaign event will take place on Wednesday 21 March
7.15pm at the Bloomsbury Central Baptist Church, 235 Shaftesbury Avenue London WC2H 8EP. The main speakers will be Bob Crow, general secretary rail union RMT; Matt
Wrack, general secretary FBU; Alex Gordon, president RMT & TUSC candidate;
Ian Leahair, FBU national executive & TUSC candidate; April Ashley, Unison national executive & TUSC candidate in a personal capacity; Jackie Turner, doctor and health campaigner & TUSC candidate; Chaired by TUSC candidate Nick Wrack
(2) The Trade Unionist and Socialist Coalition stands in opposition to public spending cuts and privatisation, calls for investment in public services, public ownership and control of the major utilities and the repeal of the anti-trade union laws. For more information see: http://www.tusc.org.uk/
In London TUSC is standing only in the London-wide list section for the London Assembly Elections. It is not contesting for mayor or in the constituency section. See: http://www.tusc.org.uk/london_tusc.php
(3) Alex Gordon is President of the RMT
(4) Steve Hedley is a tube worker and the RMT London Transport Regional Organiser
(5) Ian Leahair is the London representative on the union’s national executive committee, representing 5,500 firefighters.
(6) Sian Griffiths, one of the first women firefighters in the country, was awarded the Queen's Fire Service Medal (QFSM) for distinguished service in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List in 2010.